Monday 29 March 2010

Catching Up

I played some tournament poker on Friday for the first time in forever. I was pretty happy with my game in general and made the final table of the Full Tilt $20r, busting 7th after going card dead and shoving shit blind on blind. I was at the same table as Mash, a Polish guy that I knew from PXF. I ended up getting on Skype with him and a bunch of people from PXF, some of which I remember, some of which I don’t. I had a really good time – they are a fun bunch of guys and it kind of made me miss the PXF community a bit. I am hoping to play some more tournaments on Good Friday, so I hope to speak to them again soon.

We had quite a long discussion about a couple of guys they knew that persistently whined about running bad, despite turning in some fairly sick results in recent months.

Cliff notes for those complaining:
- You probably aren’t running that bad.
- Even if you are, everyone else also experiences periods of running bad, they just complain about it less than you.
- Nobody likes hearing about it all the time as it is really fucking boring, if I wanted to spend time with people that complain a lot I would seek the company of a woman, who are at least easier on the eye. I do consider occasional venting acceptable, however.
- To quote Todd Terry, one of my favourite 2+2ers: “A good example of how running well can warp your perspective is James Akenhead. I was catching up on the WSOPE broadcasts (which were some of the best televised tournament poker in the last five years) yesterday and saw James say, "I never suck out." How about the first hand of the final table of the $2K event at the Bellagio in June 2008 where you 3bet from the BT with 95o and then called my cold 4bet shove with KK from the blinds and won the hand?”


After a staggering fightback I am almost at even playing HU cash this month and have managed my target 10,000 hands for the month. I have a lesson with Aero on Wednesday, which seemed to do the trick last week.

West Ham have made a pretty good fist of ensuring they will get relegated. The last game of the season is the day after my wedding, so I’m going to have to miss it, but on the evidence of the Wolves and Stoke fixtures, we will be down by then anyway so it won’t matter. I’m too pissed off to go into what I think about Zola, the players, the Chairman etc. here right now, all that I will say is that some people that are earning big salaries need to take a long hard look at themselves and think about applying themselves properly for the remainder of the season.

Far be it from me to poke fun at a serious issue, but doesn’t the correspondent that wrote this article have to be working under a pseudonym?

4 comments:

  1. Long time... last time I posted here Leeds were still winning games, fuck me if that hasn't changed!!! It would appear that if (when???) your boys go down they will be getting beat by a bunch of pikey cunts instead of rolling us! How can something so good turn so bad so fast? As much as it pains me to say it, I would rather us have lost 3-0 to the scum and be 15pts clear than the shit storm we find ourselves in now.

    What kind of excuse is a wedding to miss the relegation celebrations??? If I had missed a game of football the day after my wedding I wouldn't have seen England whip the hun 5-1! How pissed would I still be to this day if that were the case???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, long time mate. I trust all is well?

    Very disappointed to see you lose to them the other night. Do Norwich only score goals in the last minute - every time I look at their scores they seem to have won another game in injury time.

    On the plus side I'll look forward to renewing hostilities with them next year, beating them in the Carling Cup was the highlight of an otherwise shit season. I'm particularly keen to get in a chorus of "the wheels on your house go round and round".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the Premier league highlights (nice job for a change, West Ham!) and considered it my fucking duty to catch up with your blog - still a pleasure to read, as always. Being English has its disadvantages (eg Penalties) but you guys are really ahead of us when it comes to proper swearing.
    For me things are going quite fine - I'm running quite hot at the pokers and my Borussia are doing fine this season and provide some good entertainment, too.

    Gl for poker, the wedding and West Ham!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jooooooonnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaassssssssss!!!

    Long time no speak man. Good to see you run hot in both pokerz and football.

    Yeah, all is good here, nice to see us pick up a battling point at Everton where we always lose, no matter how bad they are. About 15 years ago we played them in March, they had scored six goals at home all season. They beat us 6-0. It was so bad our fans celebrated six imaginary goals to bring it back to 6-6. I am hoping we can avoid relegation based on everyone else being awful, although the suspension of Scott Parker for his 932nd yellow card of the season won't help.

    The wedding is now only a month away, thank fuck as well, it is driving me nuts at present. I'm meant to give a fuck if the place cards on the table are in white or fucking ivory, apparantley.

    I'll probably post a couple of times more here before my stag weekend and death occur in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete